To start off, let me just say that I absolutely love Moleskine notebooks. I have had many notebooks throughout the years (mainly used for my to-do lists and to simply get some of the thoughts out of my head and on to paper), and Moleskine has always been my notebook of choice. I’m not even sure what it is about them, but they are just so nice to write in.
Well, Moleskine has created something to take note-taking to the next level, and that is their Smart Writing Set. This set includes a notebook, pen, and app that when combined, really maximizes your time spent writing.
A couple of cool things to note about this technological trio:
- The notebook is actually encoded with dotted paper that helps the pen you are writing with recognize where and what you are writing on the paper.
- The pen that is used with the notebook is (quite) a smart pen that has an infrared camera at the tip of the pen in order to track and then digitize your writing. The pen also contains a micro USB port used to charge the pen as well as a LED light that alerts the user as to the current battery status.
Now to the good stuff: after your pair the smart pen to your phone/tablet (the app is free), the user writes/sketches whatever they wish in the paper tablet, and the pen immediately digitizes what you are writing to the app as you write it. This is seriously mind-blowing!
Below are some of my favorite features that can be of use:
- Notes can be replayed in the order that you wrote them down.
- Auto page detection tells automatically when you start writing on a new page.
- You can export specific page(s) to other platforms like iCloud and Evernote.
- If your handwriting is not exactly the most legible, do not fear! You even have the option to automatically change your handwriting into a specific font once the page is automatically synced to your device.
I am a big technology buff, so I am completely nerding out about this find. I absolutely love how it combines old-school writing in a notebook with 21st century convenience with your writings able to be accessed on a mobile device at any time. Even with the somewhat lofty price tag of $200.00, I just might have to give this one a try.